Friday 21 November 2008

As my first post on my editorial blog I thought that I would have a little discussion about a story that hit a few of the nationals today.

This buissness about the Cambridge University student who posed "wearing a black, lacy thong with hold-up stockings as she poses on one of the city's historic bridges with a cigarette in her hand".

The reactions to the scandaous story are, in some cases quite suprising. Some people obviously are outraged. (I wonder if it would be the case if it wasn't a student from an old Redbrick institution?) Others (predominantly students) are all for it. It's not the first of the page 3-esque shots that "Vivid" has featured on it's pages, and judging by this reaction , I'm pretty sure that it won't be the last.

At the end of the day, I think that it's the old trick of "publicity that money can't buy" ... I mean how often does a story about a student rag make the national news papers? It goes back to what I said re. the Sachs scandal... if you want to get attention do something outrageous. The shock factor always sells... especially when coupled with the (se)X - factor.

Amy Victoria Gathercole
Editor

Let me know your opinon....

No comments: